Friday, July 1, 2011

BIKE TRIP - DAY 1

START OF AN ADVENTURE:
With some time off, I am pursuing a life long dream of a road trip (on my bike).
Planned Destination:  Grand Canyon (time allowing - post for another day).

Leaving Steamboat this morning after my morning Starbucks and visiting friends.  Hope to be on the road by 6:30am.
I will be posting on my blog and updates on facebook when internet and phone service will allow.  There will be days at a time I will be without service. 

DAY ONE:  Steamboat through Rabbit Ears Pass to Gore Pass (probably won't make it through both on day one).
Rabbit Ears Pass Gain in altitude 5987 ft a lot of climbing
Road Biking Colorado

Details about some of the routes and passes can be read about in:
Pic link is to Amazon

Today's ride is ROUTE 129 in the book

Planned route:
Hwy 40 to Route 134 through Gore pass
Route 134 to 131 (131 to Avon) to route 24
Route 24 to Leadville
Leadville to Pagosa Springs
Pagosa Springs to Durango
Durango to the Grand Canyon
If time allows, I want to go to the North rim.
If not, I'll join everyone else at the South rim.

Goal is to average 50 miles a day - which isn't that much.

Been riding and training.
Pics from my recent weekend training ride to Yampa and Stagecoach.  I'm ready. 
 

Wish me luck. 
Some of you would have tried to talk me out of it and told me how "dangerous" it is - blah, blah.
I'm looking forward to the time on the road - hope to clear my mind and get life back in order. . .

Love you all.
Peace, Love and Hope

Gotta get ready to hit the road..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WAIT!!! Did you clear this with me??? Let me think a minute about this trip.....OK....gave it serious thought! GO FOR IT!!!! Be careful out there! Love you! b